Monday 16 May 2016

COMMISSIONED ARTIST: LEXI BLAKEWAY


Let's say hello to Lexi Blakeway..

Lexi trained as a primary school teacher many years ago, took time out to travel and home educate her three children and live a sustainable life in self built yurts for a few years.  " Ive always created since as long as I can remember and have taught myself numerous crafts over the years particularly different ways of weaving materials together which is how I moved into felting a few years ago.  






I'm a Self taught felter, totally captivated by the versatility of wool and love the fact that I can move my work towards being totally locally sustainable.  I create textile pictures, cushions, bags etc from wool and various other fibres weaved in, and sculpt figures/animals with needles from the wool.  


 As one of the things that ties this project together is locally sourced materials I will be aiming to naturally hand dye as much of the wool as possible using plants local to the Lakes and planting a dye garden at my allotment.

No comments:

Post a Comment